Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Great Outdoors

Okay...brace yourself...are you ready for this?!
Alisha Louise Stratton went camping!
**gasp** Catch your breath...I still am.

Shawn and I went on the 2nd Annual Stratton family Camping Trip last weekend in Helen, GA (I wanted to capitalize it to make it more official). While I was up and ready for the challenge, many people just couldn't believe that I of all people would go camping in the great outdoors. As one person put it, "You look like you belong on the East Side of Manhattan." Thanks, I guess? Well peeps, I proved you all wrong! We had a great time in Unicoi State Park for a couple of days. We slept in a tent (with an air mattress no doubt), we biked through the mountains (they were more like hills, but my thighs and butt are calling them mountains), we walked through the "German" streets of Helen (more like Confederate flag country...scary!), we cooked and ate outdoors (except for the meal we bought and brought...fried chicken & sides...mmmmm) and we most importantly spent quality time with the Stratton family (dominos, cards, Putt-Putt, etc.). Oh...and I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Old Time Photo shops, but we got one of those pictures taken, too! It was so much fun getting dressed up and posing on an old-fashioned bar, and we figured it would be a nice addition to the family photos we have at the house (Shawn as a "wanted killer" and me as a "town..."), well you know what. It started off pretty inexpensive, until they suckered me in with the "old-fashioned" matte and the "old-fashioned" picture frame...which I fell for...but it looks great!!
The most exciting events of the weekend for me were my hunting and shooting workshops. Yes, I shot some guns and hunted (dummy animals, of course) with a bow and arrow. I know my family is reading in disbelieve, so these events can only be proven by pictures. Take a look!

**Disclaimer: I do not hunt, nor do I believe in violence or the torture of animals**



Alisha skeet shooting: 2 for 5, which is not bad for my first time ever.

Shawn taking aim at the skeets, with much better results.


Alisha target shooting. Not only did I slaughter Shawn's score, but I also beat some of the teachers!
As one woman put it, never make her angry. Yay me!

Shawn's bow & arrow results. Let's just say that the wolf is dead.
And yes, Shawn slaughtered my score in the bow & arrow competition.

Can we say...competitive?!

We had a great time last weekend, and we look forward to the 3rd Annual Camping trip.

We love you, Stratton family! Thanks for everything!

Dad Stratton, me & Shawn at Ruby Falls

Me, Jack (nephew) and Shawn taking a breather on the hike back from Ruby Falls.

Me and Shawn make it to the falls and stop for a quick pose.

Surrounded by leaves (and warning signs for rattlers).


**pssst...Hill family, when is our camping trip?!** YIPES! LOL!

2 comments:

claire said...

We love Unicoi too!

You ARE going to scan the picture for us, right??? No fair talking about it but not showing it.

Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...

LOL. We do plan on scanning it, but no judgements!! Just remember we were playing a role. :^)