Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Cebollas

Spanish food lesson number one: "las cebollas" means onions.


Onions have been on my mind since yesterday evening mainly because I can still smell them underneath my fingernails. YUCK! Can anybody relate?!


While I love the taste of onions, I absolute dread having to prepare them to cook. I was in the mood for a simple, yummy dish that I absolutely love for dinner last night (it's basically a concoction of sausage, potatoes, spices, and yes, you guessed it, ONION), but the experience turned into tears, sniffles, odor and more tears! Even when I avoid eye contact with them, they make me cry like a baby! And even worse, I feel like I carry the smell of onions with me for the next couple of days like they're embedded in my skin or clothing or something. I've tried everything BUT wearing rubber gloves - running water over them while I peel and chop them, looking behind my back (which leaves my fingertips pretty vulnerable), washing my hands repeatedly after I'm finished...nothing works. I think garlic ranks right up there with onions.


Do any of you "Martha's" out there have any suggestions for making onions my "amigas"?

"Amigos(as)" means friends.

It's been bothering me all day (and it bothered Shawn all night...poor thing!).


6 comments:

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

I know the second suggestion is going to sound especially nuts...but first, lemon juice works well for me. Second, rub your hands with aluminum foil ;) It really works.

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

Go to http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/background.php?id=498

On the right side there are lots of categories and hundreds of free blog backgrounds

claire said...

Ugh, onions. I hate them in all forms. I can smell them for hours on carlton when he's eaten them! I'v only recently been able to start tolerating a small amount of green onion in anything I eat, but I occasionally brave it and cook onions for my family. But I've never been able to figure out how to avoid the crying.

Anonymous said...

Put them in the freezer for about 10 min then pull out and chop. Trust me this works.

Anonymous said...

dont know why that didnt put my name above with the frozen idea, trying to take my ideas, huh.???

diana

Shawn and Alisha Stratton said...

Hey Nina...thanks for the advice! I'll try all of them together and hope for the best next time.