Sunday, August 10, 2008

Beijing Olympics




I am not sure how many of you are addicted to the Olympics like Shawn and I are, but I just had to share a few thoughts.


My family and I were living in Seoul, South Korea when the '88 Olympics took place there, and we were fortunate enough to attend several events. A small "claim-to-fame" for my mom: she was actually one of the Olympic torch runners during the ceremonies...Go Mom! I was obviously very young when we were there (5 yrs old), but there are some beautiful memories (many from pictures I'm sure) that are still very fresh and glorious in my mind.


Over the years, I have learned to appreciate, embrace and often times advocate for other cultures and peoples through my studies in college and the many travel opportunities I've had in my life. I have to say that the Olympic games truly touch my heart in so many aspects. There is something so amazing and heart-warming about the entire world, even countries we've never even heard of, coming together for one cause. No one cares about the physical or cultural differences of their competitors. Everyone is there to proudly represent their country, some even knowing that they have no chance at a medal. It just makes me wonder why the world cannot come together with such ease outside of the Olympic games.


If you have been watching since 08-08-08, you have probably seen many instances of people coming together, smiling and laughing with one another, taking pics of their favorite athletes (which are also their competitors) from other countries, cheering for one cause...it's as if the political views, anger, violence, etc. have paused for just a moment. Unfortunately, there have been a few acts of violence and political protests, but in the grand scheme of things, it just seems like a better world for 2.5 weeks.


I hope you all have the opportunity to see the Olympics for all the beauty it has to offer, rather than how many more golds we have than others. Share your thoughts with me...whether you agree or disagree!


GO USA!!!

and all athletes from around the world!!!


1 comment:

jenny said...

love, love, love the olympics! there is just something exciting about watching these amazing athletes achieve their dream. did you see the amazing relay swim last night? i have to admit i just loved to see the US team beat the frenchies after all the smack they were talking. GO USA!!