Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

My father, Aaron Sr., and both brothers, Aaron Jr. and Ahmond, all proudly served in the US Army.
Aaron Jr. is still serving active duty.
For most of us, Memorial Day is a time for cook-outs, sales, beach trips, baseball games, or a day off from work (which obviously aren't bad things).
But, for many others, it's a day to remember and mourn those family members or close friends who died in an attempt to make our lives and the lives of others in the world better.
I am aware that everyone who reads this blog is going to have their own opinions and views (personal or political) regarding the wars in which we are currently fighting and the state of our own nation. Regardless of the differences we may have, I would like to share a few things:
I am so appreciative of what the military men and women, past and present, have done and are doing for the nations of this world. Despite what many people believe, not everyone who signs up for the military do so because they want to fight in a war, so it takes an enormous amount of strength, selflessness, and bravery to leave family, friends, children, etc. behind and risk their lives for a cause they may or may not believe in. Could we do that?
I am deeply saddened for those families who have not seen their precious husbands, wives, sons, daughters, mothers, and fathers for years, all of whom wonder everyday when they will get to come home. Will they ever be the same when they return?
It breaks my heart to hear stories of such young, vibrant, giving, intelligent, and successful soldiers (PEOPLE, FAMILY, FRIENDS) whose lives have been cut short. Do you ever wonder how could we have benefited from these amazing people in years to come if they had survived?


Aaron and his two daughters, Alyssa and Amaya.
Trey is his oldest son (he didn't quite make the picture)
My brother, Major Aaron Thomas Hill, Jr., will be leaving for Afghanistan this Friday. He is an amazing U.S. Army officer who is proud and willing to serve his country to the best of his ability. My family and I cannot express in words how proud we are of him and all of his successes: West Point grad, West Point professor, funny father of 3 awesome children, loving husband, hilarious brother and son...the list goes on. While I don't want him to leave, I have accepted the fact that it is his time to go, and I will support HIM, his fellow SOLDIERS and their EFFORTS for as long as these wars last. While I am unable to support the total cause of our presence in particular places, I will always support our troops and their duties.

Please keep my brother (all soldiers) and my family (all effected families) in your thoughts and prayers. We would so greatly appreciate it!
Aaron, I love you so much and I will miss you for the time that you're gone. Please be careful, and know that you're in my prayers!


Aaron is singing in his famous "Blessed Union of Souls" voice as we dance at my wedding (hence my lovely face).
He never fails to make me laugh!





6 comments:

Annie Gedge said...

I liked you post. It made me think. Its kind of funny because where I grew up the military wasn't a big deal. It could be because my dad was in Vietnam and it was something we didn't talk about. In fact I don't think I knew he was even in the army until I was fifteen and asked questions. I liked your thoughts on all the people who serve. It is different then how the media paints it. Thanks!!!

wendy_d23 said...

That was really nice. Now that my brother is home, I forget that there are still so many still over there serving.

claire said...

God bless your brother.

Wallace Clan said...

Thanks!

Yeah doing something when you get back sounds great!

Hope you enjoy your trip! It's almost your anniversary.

jenny said...

i really enjoyed your post. i have such a spot in my heart for those who serve our country. it is so brave. you have such a handsome family.

Queen said...

It was great to see your family. You all look great. The wedding pictures are beautiful. Happy Anniversary!