Monday, May 19, 2008

la vita è bella

Shawn and I received word last week that his grandfather, a.k.a. Gramps, was not doing well, so we decided to make the trip to Rock Hill, South Carolina to lift his spirits!
Gramps is Shawn's only living grandparent, and I can't say that I know what that feels like. I am very blessed to have both of my Grandmothers and one of my Grandfathers alive and well. While I don't get to see them often (they all live in PA), it makes me happy and appreciative that they are still here with me and for me.
I have only been around Gramps a few times since knowing Shawn: I met him briefly when we were still dating, he graced us with his presence at our wedding, and we celebrated his 90th birthday last year! Every time I've been with Gramps, I've never had the opportunity to get to know who my new grandfather was because we were surrounded by so many other family members. Shawn has always spoken so highly and sincerely about his Grandfather and Grandmother (who passed away several years ago), so we were really looking forward to spending some "alone" time with him.
Gramps, Shawn & Alisha Stratton
I was so amazed by how alert, knowledgable, and sharp he was! Gramps was very tuned in to current events, he was an active listener, and he responded in a manner in which you knew he was listening. I don't know about you, but it feels good to know that someone has a genuine interest in what you have to say. Far too often do we get that blank stare & nod from people who "hear" you, but don't really "listen" to you. (And yes, there is a huge difference!) Gramps really enjoyed hearing about what Shawn and I were up to, and we also enjoyed hearing about his past successes: serving in 3 different military branches, meeting our Grandmother, travels, life mottos - "I don't like to live in the past. I only want to live in today's life. When today is over, tomorrow will come, and then I try to make it through tomorrow."
After talking and laughing and learning, we played a couple of card games: Skip Bo, one of Gramps' favorites, and Golf, a Stratton family favorite. Gramps won in Skip Bo, and Shawn won in Golf (by pure luck might I add!). After we played cards, we headed downstairs to eat brunch in the dining room.
Shawn & Gramps celebrating their victories.
Me & Gramps posing after my devastating loss.
While we had a great time eating together, there was still a very gloomy feeling in the room. It broke our hearts seeing some of the elderly who had no one to dine with, or who forced themselves to dine with someone because their "special someone" was no longer with them. I realized that life is so beautiful for Shawn and me because we have each other to share it with. But for those who have no one, does life have its beauty anymore?

It was so hard to say goodbye to Gramps because we wondered about how lonely his life must be now without Gram in it. Of course he has children and grandchildren who visit him as often as possible, but we're sure his heart and his life is still with Gram.
Shawn and I began this trip hoping to benefit Gramps and his health, but we left our visit feeling that Gramps had actually benefited us. This trip also made me realize how important our families are. They are one of the reasons that we live, and we take them for granted so much.
We love you Gramps, Nana Hill, Nana Fourhman, Pap & Dee!!

Gramps' window garden...a reminder that la vita è bella

3 comments:

jenny said...

that is so great that you guys were able to do that. those times really are special for everyone. we really can learn so much from our elders. i agree with you, it is usually us that benefit from their presence.

wendy_d23 said...

how nice you can visit, mine are so far away! I always play skip-bo with my grandpa too!

Queen said...

That is wonderful to have that opportunity. I look at the bond that the boys have with their grandpa and I look forward to the day that I will get to meet my grandparents.