Monday, September 15, 2008

Toothpicks please?!

So I'm not sure if you're familiar with that great episode of the Flintstones when Fred was super tired, and he was so determined to stay awake that he turned to toothpicks to keep his eyelids open...which almost immediately led to the toothpicks snapping in half because his lids were too heavy! That episode always had me laughing when I was a kid, but now in "serious" adulthood it is a sad reminder of the "hot mess" Droopy bags under my eyes from sleep deprivation!



Look familiar?!?!

So enough of the background cartoons. I simply wanted to blog about my newest, yet sad, revelation...


the week "extension."



I don't know why people call the weekend a week "end." At least in my crazy life, it feels like the weekend is simply the week's way of giving me two additional days to do finish the work I didn't finish during the week. Hence the new expression: week extension. I feel like I can never get enough rest! The things that I don't have time to do during the week are put off until the weekend, and these "put-off things" are the important things in life like laundry, basic cleaning, grocery shopping...urgh! And while Sunday is the "day of rest," I am still "working" to get to wake up, shower, get to church on time, feed the dog, practice the hymns, (sometimes) teach, cook, etc. I am truly spent by time Saturday gets here!! Even date nights seem to end early because we are BOTH so exhausted.



So what to do? Am I the only one struggling to make it through the day...and weekend?


For those "super energetic" ones out there, what's your remedy?

2 comments:

Annie Gedge said...

Sometimes there is a whole month where Sunday's are anything but days of rest. Big key---nap. You MUST take a nap on Sunday; trust me it makes the day a whole lot better.

jenny said...

just wait until you have kids. i think i've been tired for two years straight now. i'm not sure there is a way to "catch-up" if there is, i haven't found it!