Monday, May 18, 2009

5K highlights



On Saturday May 16th I ran in my first 5K since high school cross country! It was the 1st Annual South Fulton 5K race and 1M fun run, and I have to tell you I was so nervous. Nervous as in 5 trips to the bathroom to rid of every ounce of water I had taken in that morning and the night before, uncontrollable shaking, dry heaving half-way through mile 3...it was ridiculous.
Despite the nerves, I accomplished my goals: to finish without stopping, and to not come in last place. The race was probably 3/4 hills, which I wasn't prepared for, but I finished first in my age group and second overall female runner! I am running in two more races this month (I think I have a mild addiction now) - Saturday 5/23 in Piedmont Park for Childhood Obesity, and Saturday 5/30 in N Druid Hills for Special Olympics.
Shawn, thanks for cheering me on during that last hill (a.k.a. mountain) mid-dry heave. You're the greatest man I know!

1 comment:

Annie Gedge said...

Good grief girl you make me sick! You made the 5k sound all hard and then you go and get first place in age group and second over all female and with hills no less! I was walking up Kennesaw Mountain and needed oxygen just to walk twenty meters!