Friday, November 7, 2008

La comida....mmmm

The change in temperature has inspired me to cook and bake some dishes that just warm me up inside. I wanted to share these recipes with anyone who has the time to try them out. Enjoy!

1. Lentejas (Lentil Soup):

This is a dish that I ate all the time during my stay in Spain several years ago. My señora would make this for us on cold days and I would be the last one at the table scraping the bottom of the pot...literally. It's super delicious!

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups dry lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups water1 carrot (optional), cut into bite size chunks
1 medium potato, cut into chunks slightly bigger than bite size
2-3 small chorizo sausages (Mexican or Spanish) or linguica sausage (Portuguese)
**I am not a chorizo fan, so I just used about a lb. of regular smoked sausage**

DIRECTIONS:

1. Soak the lentils in cold water for an hour prior to cooking.
2. Heat olive oil on low heat, add onion and garlic. Sautée until onion begins to look translucent and garlic browns a little.
3. Add water and lentils, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add potato & carrot (opt).
4. Add sausage, in one inch slices. **I did this a bit later to keep the flavor**
5. Cook until lentils get soft and expand and sausage filling strains against natural casing, about 40-45 minutes.
6. Serve warm with crusty bread.


2. Banana bread: I know this is a classic and most of you probably have a recipe of your own for this, but I tried a new one yesterday. The bread is perfect to look at, delicious to eat, and left a beautiful aroma in my entire house (if you like the smell of bananas, of course)! I love eating this for a quick breakfast, a snack, or dessert.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c. (1stick) soft butter
1/2 c. shortening
4 eggs
3 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 1/4 c. mashed bananas (about 6 bananas)
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
2 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

1. Generously butter 2 loaf pans.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In large bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar & vanilla until fluffly.
4. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each.
5. Sift flour, salt and soda together.
6. Stir lemon juice into milk (it will curdles).
7. Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk to batter mixture. Blend well.
8. Stir in bananas and nuts.
9. Pour into loaf pans. (It will rise a lot, so be sure you don't fill pans to top)
10. Bake loaves for 1 hour & 10 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

**This does freeze well, so make as much as you want**


No comments: