Monday, April 28, 2008

New Addition...or should we say...Additions!

We are so excited and proud to announce that we are proud new parents...

































of three...or four...baby birds!!




That's right! The eggs officially hatched late last week, and the mother bird has been busier than ever. She is constantly flying back and forth finding food, cleaning the nest, worrying...is this what I should expect of motherhood?

Watching Animal Planet from our own patio door has been so amazing. I'm not sure if you know this, but I am very afraid of birds! Yes...I love the movie "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock (it's the first question everyone asks me, so I thought I'd clear that one up). But, I hate the way they perch, swoop, travel in large groups, attack me (and my dog)...need I go on? When I found out that we had a bird's nest on our patio, I was quite unhappy at first. But, as I watched the mother bird prepare her nest and care for those sweet, little eggs, I was so amazed by how God gave animals such knowledge. As my mom pointed out, animals are the only creatures who are natural mothers - - the rest of us (humans) have to be taught how to do so much on this earth.

As soon as I saw those three (or four) little fuzzy heads bobbing up and down in the nest, I fell in love immediately. Shawn has had no choice but to love them...poor thing. The first thing I ask him to do when he goes downstairs everyday is to check on the babies. My mind is overwhelmed with thoughts of them: Are they getting enough to eat? Where will the mother find food? What if they fall out of the nest? Will they/Did they survive their first rain? Will they like me?! I can't wait to watch them grow up and take their first flight. I will post a follow-up video of their adventures soon. I'm trying hard not to name them, because once you name them, you're attached for life!
It's so awesome how much we can learn from animals - - motherhood being one of those things. God has really created an incredible world! I guess this is a great prep for Shawn's and my own "bird's nest" one day.

4 comments:

Wallace Clan said...

YAY I can comment. Congrats on the babies.

Jacki said...

How cute. I laughed at first because I remembered you telling me that you hate birds. But now you can't because they are really part of your family. I mean the mom had to use YOUR house to care for her little chicks. That is pretty special.

Keep us posted!

jenny said...

cute little birds! i remember that same thing happening on my parents front porch. we had to use the back door for months because if we tried to go in the front door the momma bird would swoop down and try to attack you! i guess mommas will do anything to protect their chicks.

VirtualM said...

We've got a little nest of birds too! Over at the new house, we sometimes take a break from working and watch the momma bird gather up worms and feed her babies. It's pretty amazing!